Did you know that 128,420 auto collisions occurred in Pennsylvania in 2018 alone? That’s an average of 352 crashes per day – about 15 per hour! We, unfortunately, have a great chance of getting injured in a Pennsylvania car accident, especially these days when drivers are distracted by devices or are still driving under the influence.
If you are in the Scranton or Wilkes-Barre area, what’s the best way to handle a vehicle accident? Here are steps to take right after your crash.
- Contact the police and obtain a police report. A police report can be a key piece of evidence describing how the accident happened and who may be at fault. You’ll want officers at the scene while all the parties involved are still there.
- Get the contact details of involved parties and witnesses. If another vehicle is involved, ask for their insurance information. When talking to witnesses, politely ask them about what they saw and take note of their story.
- Document the scene. Take photos or videos of the accident scene, including your own injuries, damage to your car, damage to surroundings, and potential contributing factors such as hidden traffic signs or road hazards.
- Seek immediate medical attention. This is a priority when there is any injury. Even an innocent-looking bump on the head should not be ignored, as it could later turn out to be serious. Have a doctor professionally assess the injuries and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
- Report to your insurance company. Do this as soon as you can – any delay may be taken against your claim later on. When talking to your insurer’s representative, write down your conversation and don’t readily assume any fault of your own.
- Contact an injury lawyer. People sometimes assume that getting a lawyer means pursuing a contentious legal action. This is not necessarily so. Your attorney can help you avoid mistakes that will damage your injury claim. They can protect you from being taken advantage of by the other party or by an insurance company. An experienced lawyer can ultimately help you win the compensation you truly deserve.
More accidents are bound to happen in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. If this misfortune happens to you or someone in your family, Attorney Todd Johns can help with valuable legal services. Your consultation with him is free. Call (570) 876-6903 as soon as possible.